Grade 6s began a new Number Sense and Numeration unit on decimals. Today we practiced writing large numbers as decimals, e.g. 1 800 000 can be written as 1.8 million. Students practiced these skills. Those who did not get done in class are asked to complete p. 44 – 45 of the MMS 6 practice book for homework.
We continued working on our City of Ember novel study. Students met in their literature circle groups and discussed the eleventh chapter using their assigned roles. Once discussions were completed, students were assigned a new literature circle role for the twelfth chapter. Some students used class time to read Chapter 12. While they read they worked on their role response and also worked on completing their graphic organiser. Students who did not complete this in class are to complete it for homework. We will have literature circle discussions again tomorrow. It is important that each group member complete the reading and their response for the daily group discussions.
During today’s inquiry time we looked at the physical features of the Earth by examining the number, shape, and size of the continents depending on the view of the Earth. Students are encouraged to practice their mapping skills from Lesson 1 at the OXFAM website.
In language, students read samples of fable and legend writing. They wrote the reasons the stories were effective. We will be using their reasons to create a list of criteria for effective writing. Also in language, we explored Haiku poems. Students were challenged to write a Haiku poem of their own. Ask your child to explain the features of a Haiku poem to you.
Grade 6s attended French, music, and gym class today.
Please bring $1 - $2 to support our bake sale. This continues tomorrow.
Tomorrow is Casual Day.
Homework and Reminders
· MMS 6 p. 44 – 45
· Language: What is the difference between a fairy tale and a legend?
· Science Fair: Collect any materials you may need for your car construction
· Novel Study: Chapter 12 & Reading Response due tomorrow
· Wed., Oct. 25 – Casual Day, Bake Sale
· Thurs., Oct. 26 – Picture Day
· Fri. Oct. 27 – Hot lunch orders are due. Please note we are curling on Nov. 20
· Tues., Oct. 31 – Spirit Day: Harvest/Halloween Dress Up – No weapons, scary masks.
· Mon., Nov. 20 – Curling trip
· Dec. 1st – Curling trip