We reviewed polygons and congruency in math today. Many are doing better at constructing figures and checking for congruency by comparing corresponding sides and angles. Students were asked to correct and complete yesterday’s homework. If this was not done, students did not get to go out for recess today. Grade 6s are asked to complete the following practice work if they did not get done in class: MMS 7 p. 143 – 148. Students should also correct yesterday’s homework if this is still applicable.
During our inquiry time, students made inferences based on the OPG graphs we created yesterday. They used the graphs to reflect on energy production in Ontario. They checked the OPG map to find the closest generating station to us. After that, they visited the OPG website to discover interesting facts about this type of generating station. Students completed the self-assessment and submitted their work for marking. Students who did not get done in class time used their recess time to get done. Some students did not send me the graphs nor did they print out the graphs. These students to need do this by tomorrow.
We began discussing this year’s science fair. Grade 6s will be using the engineering design process to build an electric car. They are bringing their engineering design portfolios home today. Please take time to read the letter in the front of the portfolio. Students are required to bring in $15 cash and a box to begin their work by Tuesday, October 10th.
We continued working on our first novel study for the year – ‘The City of Ember’. Students read ‘The Instructions’ – the prologue to the story. The discussed what is important and are ready to share their ideas in class tomorrow.
Grade 6s attended French, music, and gym class today.
Soccer tryouts continue next week, from 4 – 5 pm, as follows:
Boys Soccer Tryouts - Wednesday, October 11th & Friday, October 13th.
International Day takes place tomorrow. Please come and visit us in the auditorium to see our Djibouti display from 2:30 – 3:15 pm.
Friday is a PD Day for teachers. There is no school for students.
Monday is Thanksgiving Day. There is no school.
Students are required to wear their winter uniform starting Tuesday, October 10th.
Homework and Reminders
· MMS 7 p. 142 - 148
· Print out your 2 OPG graphs and bring them to school tomorrow OR email me both graphs as an attachment
· Print and bring a large (A4) colour picture to represent your Djibouti research/facts
· Find a Djibouti banana fritter recipe, purchase ingredients, and prepare the food for Thursday, October 5th.
· Science Fair:
o Read the letter about the science fair project
o Pay $15 cash for your science supplies by Tuesday, October 10th
o Bring a shoebox to store your supplies and protect your car as you build it
· Read for 20 minutes
· Wed., Oct. 4 – Girls’ and Boys’ Soccer Tryouts, 4 – 5 pm
· Thurs., Oct. 5 – International Day
· Fri., Oct. 6 – P.D. – No school for students
· Mon., Oct. 9 – Thanksgiving Day, No school
· Tues. Oct. 10 – Winter uniforms are required to be worn
· Wed., Oct. 11 – Boys’ Soccer Tryouts, 4 – 5 pm
· Fri., Oct. 13 – Boys’ Soccer Tryouts, 4 – 5 pm
· Wed., Oct. 25 – Casual Day
· Thurs., Oct. 26 – Picture Day
· Tues., Oct. 31 – Spirit Day: Harvest/Halloween Dress Up