We learned about tiling patterns in math today. Grade 6s learned that it takes a lot of detailed descriptions to explain how to tile a plane using a figure. It took many tries before everyone completed this task well. The class discovered that using tracing paper immensely improved their accuracy. Once this was done we began review work. Grade 6s are asked to complete the following practice work if they did not get done in class: MMS 6 p. 108 – 109 and MMS 7 p. 139 – 142. Students should also correct Friday’s homework if applicable.
During our inquiry time, students used Excel or Sheets to create graphs to represent the types of generating stations operated by the OPG and the amount of power produced by these generating stations. We completed the first graph in class and started the second graph. Students are asked to complete the second graph and print out the graphs at home or email the graphs to me as an attachment.
We began working on our first novel study for the year – ‘The City of Ember’. Everyone received a Duo-tang they will be working out of and a copy of the book. Today we examined the cover and discussed what the book might be about. The class was put into groups and are ready to begin literature circles tomorrow.
Grade 6s attended French and gym class today.
Students should be working on their IB Learner Profile poster and be ready to present these on their scheduled date. Alexis will be presenting on tomorrow.
Soccer tryouts begin this week and next week, from 4 – 5 pm, as follows:
Girls Soccer Tryouts – Wednesday, October 4th
Boys Soccer Tryouts – Wednesday, October 4th & Wednesday, October 11th & Friday, October 13th.
International Day takes place on Thursday, October 5th. Please come and visit us in the auditorium to see our Djibouti display from 2:30 – 3:15 pm.
Friday is a PD Day for teachers. There is no school for students.
Monday is Thanksgiving Day. There is no school.
Students are required to wear their winter uniform starting Tuesday, October 10th.
Homework and Reminders
· MMS 6 p. 108 – 109 and MMS 7 p. 139 – 142
· Print out your 2 OPG graphs and bring them to school tomorrow OR email me both graphs as an attachment
· Print and bring a large (A4) colour picture to represent your Djibouti research/facts
· Find a Djibouti banana fritter recipe, purchase ingredients, and prepare the food for Thursday, October 5th.
· Return the signed last page of the student handbook if you haven’t already done this
· Read for 20 minutes
· Wed., Oct. 4 – Girls’ and Boys’ Soccer Tryouts, 4 – 5 pm
· Thurs., Oct. 5 – International Day
· Fri., Oct. 6 – P.D. – No school for students
· Mon., Oct. 9 – Thanksgiving Day, No school
· Tues. Oct. 10 – Winter uniforms are required to be worn
· Wed., Oct. 11 – Boys’ Soccer Tryouts, 4 – 5 pm
· Fri., Oct. 13 – Boys’ Soccer Tryouts, 4 – 5 pm
· Wed., Oct. 25 – Casual Day
· Thurs., Oct. 26 – Picture Day
· Tues., Oct. 31 – Spirit Day: Harvest/Halloween Dress Up