In today’s math lesson Grade 6s wrote the unit test for geometry. It took the class a long time to complete the test. Many used their first recess, reading time, and some of gym time to get done.
We continued working on our City of Ember novel study. Students met in their literature circle groups and discussed the fourth chapter using their assigned roles. Once discussions were completed, students were assigned a new literature circle role for the third chapter. Some students used class time to read Chapter 5. While they read they worked on their role response and also worked on completing their graphic organiser. Students who did not complete this in class are to complete it for homework. We will have literature circle discussions again on Monday. It is important that each group member complete the reading and their response for the daily group discussions.
During our inquiry time, students completed their power generator slideshows. Groups will receive class time on Monday to create cue cards.
At the end of the day we continued working on our science fair project. Students chose the thumbnail sketch they think will produce the best car. They created a preconstruction sketch of this car. Everyone was very eager to get building. They used the remaining class to begin their constructions before heading off to the monthly awards ceremony. Well done to Jarniko for winning the Grade 6 inquirer award.
Students are reminded to bring in a box to begin their electric car work if they haven’t already done this.
Grade 6s attended French and gym class today.
If your child attends after-care, please be on the lookout for an email containing a Freshbooks invoice.
Homework and Reminders
· Science Fair: Collect any materials you may need for your car construction
· Devices needed for Monday’s electricity lesson
· Novel Study: Chapter 5 & Reading Response due tomorrow
· Print out your 2 OPG graphs and bring them to school ASAP OR email me both graphs as an attachment if you haven’t already done this. This is past due.
· Science Fair - Past due
o Read the letter about the science fair project
o Bring a shoebox to store your supplies and protect your car as you build it
· Tues., Oct. 24 – Bake Sale
· Wed., Oct. 25 – Casual Day, Bake Sale
· Thurs., Oct. 26 – Picture Day
· Tues., Oct. 31 – Spirit Day: Harvest/Halloween Dress Up