We began our class time with Canada in the World. Students were in for a treat, as Mr. Sargood visited our class to talk about his career as a trader. This time was very much enjoyed by the Grade 6s. Mr. Sargood explained many concepts. These included different markets, e.g. currencies and futures, supply and demand, interest rates and how they affect markets, how the bond market influences interest rates, and that the ‘more you make the more you can borrow’. He explained how Walmart uses a long market (buys low from wholesaler then sells high as a retailer) while Amazon uses a short market (doesn’t own products, first sells at high price then buys at a low price). His advice to the Grade 6s was ‘buy low, sell high’.
We spent a little bit of time working on our Christmas concert performance today.
Students worked on their science fair projects. Today’s goal was to have students complete the second half of their design reflection. Those who are still behind on their procedure and post construction sketch did not get to go to second recess today. This project will be prioritised this week as the science fair takes place on Thursday, November 30. Judging will be completed by 2:30 pm. At this time we welcome families to visit the school and see all the science fair projects from students in JK to Grade 8.
In math we continued our data management unit. Students reviewed line graphs. They worked through practice pages on p. 107 – 110 of their MMS 7 books. Students who did not get done in class are asked to complete this work as homework.
Students worked on their NGO project at the end of the day today.
Students attended French and gym class today.
There is a lot happening at SJA this week. Ms. Padovan’s and Mr. Grewal’s classes are hosting a bake sale tomorrow. We have a casual day tomorrow. The long-awaited science fair takes place on Thursday. Students should be in full uniform for this event – no hoodies. Finally on Friday we go curling again. Students should come to school dressed in their gym uniforms. Remember to bring a warm comfortable sweater/jacket, gloves, and a hat to curl in. Students need to carry their gym shoes in a bag for curling. Also on Friday, report cards, writing graphs, and math graphs are going home.
Student-Led Conferences take place next week Thursday, December 7th. Look out for forms coming home on Thursday with information about on-line booking using ‘Pick-a-Time’. Online bookings begin on Friday, December 1st.
After-care fees are due today. Interest will be charged for non-payment.
Friday is the last day to pay for December hot lunch orders.
Students are asked to check at home for a blazer that they may have taken mistakenly.
Our Very First Book Fair is Coming Soon – Yee-Haw!
“Saddle Up & Read” with the first Scholastic Book Fair at St. Jude’s Academy – December 7 to December 14
There will be lots of exciting books, posters, bookmarks, pens and pencils, etc. to choose from!
Proceeds will go to buying great new books for our library.
Students interested in being part of the Student Crew will be meeting tomorrow (Nov.21) at lunch.
More Parent Volunteers are also needed. If you’d like to help out please contact Ms. Hayward at email@example.com
Keep an eye out for more information here on your teacher’s blog, on Facebook, and on the Library blog: https://libraryatsja.blogspot.ca/
Homework and Reminders
· Math 7 Correct and complete p. 107 – 110
· After-care fees are due today
· December hot lunch payments are due on Friday
· Wednesday, November 29th -Casual Day, Bake sale
· Thursday, November 30th - Science Fair. Come dressed in full uniform – no hoodies. Families are welcome from 2:30 – 3:15 pm
· Friday, December 1st
o Term 1 Report Cards, OWA Graphs, and Math Graphs go home
o Grade 6 Curling trip – come dressed in your gym uniform, comfortable seater/jacket, gloves, hat, and gym shoes in a bag.
o Hot lunch payments are due
· Monday, December 4th
o Term 2 Begins
o UOI # 3 Begins
· Tuesday, December 5th - Year Ahead Day. The Grade 6s spent a day in Grade 7s
· Thursday, December 7th – PYP Student-Led Conferences. Forms will be going home on Thursday, November 30th. On-line bookings may begin on Friday, December 1st.
· Tuesday, December 12th – JK – Grade 2 Christmas Concert, Bake Sale
· Monday, December 18th – Grade 6s on trip to Crawford Lake
· Tuesday, December 19th – Casual Day
· Wednesday, December 20th – Grade 3 – Grade 8 Christmas Concert, Bake sale
· Thursday, December 21st – Spirit Day: Christmas Dress Up Day (Green, Red, White)
· Friday, December 22nd – No School!
· Wednesday, January 10th – Back to School