We began our day with our fractions unit. Today we related fractions, decimals, and percents. We did this converting fractions to have a denominator of 100. This made it easy to write the fraction as a decimal or a percent. Students who did not complete the practice work in class are asked to complete p. 122 – 123 of the MMS 6 practice book for homework. Remember to return math unit tests if you haven’t already done so.
Next we worked on speeches. Today’s goal was to put all the paragraphs together and ask:
· Is it clear?
· Does it make sense?
· Is it persuasive?
· Is there enough support through examples, facts, and ideas?
· Is the speech 3 – 5 minutes in length?
Students then worked on making further revisions to the speech by adding or removing ideas as needed. Today I prioritised meeting with students who have fallen behind in their speech work before meeting with students who are up-to-date with their work. I did manage to meet with everyone who had new work to show me. All students who are behind on their speech work are running out of time to get caught up.
During today’s inquiry time, students worked their final project for this unit. Today’s goal was to finish up the note-taking.
Students attended French and gym class today.
Our class is responsible for hosting the bake sale next Tuesday, January 30th and Wednesday, January 31st. Please support our fundraising efforts for this event by sending in items to sell at the bake sale. All items must be peanut and nut free.
Remember to return your reregistration packages to secure your spot for the 2018/2019 school year.
Keep collecting pledges and donations for the Jump Rope for Heart Event.
One of our Grade 10 MYP students is collecting food donations as part of her personal project. Please send in non-perishable food items to support this cause.
After care invoices have all been sent out via freshbooks. Payments can be made online and are due January 29th.
Homework and Reminders
o MMS 6 p. 122 – 123
o Math tests – review, sign, and return
o Finish up your revisions on all paragraphs
o Bring your speech Duo-tang and device to school
o Get caught up if you are falling behind with your speech work
· Bake Sale Items are needed next week Tuesday and Wednesday.
· Monday, January 29th – After-Care Payments due
· Tuesday, January 30th – Bake Sale hosted by the Grade 6 class
· Wednesday, January 31st – Casual Day, Bake Sale hosted by the Grade 6 class
· Monday, February 5th – In-Class Oral Competition to select three finalists
· Friday, February 9th – Oral Competition – All welcome
· Monday, February 12th
o Trip to Canadian Warplane Museum
o Last day to return reregistration packages
· Tuesday, February 13th – Pancake Tuesday
· Wednesday, February 14th – Spirit Day: Valentine’s Dress up
· Thursday, February 15th – SJA v TMA Oral Competition
· Friday, February 16th – PD Day, no school for students
· Monday, February 19th – Family Day – no school
· Thursday, February 22nd – Anti-Bullying Day
· Friday, February 23rd – Skiing Trip
· Wednesday, February 28th – Casual Day
· March 5 – March 9: Spirit Week
· Friday, March 9th – Skiing trip